Gynecomastia is a condition of overdeveloped or enlarged breasts in men that can occur at any age. Causes can include hormonal changes, heredity, obesity or the use of certain drugs.
Gynecomastia can cause emotional discomfort and impair self-confidence. Some men may even avoid certain physical activities and intimacy simply to hide their condition.
Gynecomastia is characterized by:
- Excess localized fat
- Excess glandular tissue development
- Sometimes excess breast skin
- It can be present on one side or both sides
- For excess fat, tumescent liposuction is used to remove the fatty tissue. The photograph above is a patient who was treated with liposuction alone.
2. For excess glandular tissue, excision of the male breast tissue is performed. This is usually performed around the lower part of the aerola (between the pigmented part and the skin).
3. For a combination of excess fat and excess glandular tissue, the treatment is a combination of surgical excision and liposuction.
4. For treatment of severe gynecomastia, it may be necessary to make longer incisions around the areola or possibly vertically beneath the areola.
It is normal to feel some discomfort for a few days after your procedure. This can be controlled with medication. You should arrange to be driven home after your surgery and have someone to help you manage for a day or two. You will be able to walk around the day following the surgery and return to work after a couple of days.
Bruising and swelling will occur. You will be advised to wear an elastic pressure garment around the clock for a week, and then another 5 weeks at night. Much of the swelling will resolve in the first few weeks but it will be three months before your final result is visible.
If you required excision of glandular tissue, you should avoid heavy exercise for about three weeks. You must avoid any activity or job that risks a blow to the chest area for at least a month.
The initial consultation with Dr Szalay is $75. Liposuction of the male breast is $2750. If the under arm area is also done, the cost for both areas is $3960. The pressure garment costs $275.
Excision of glandular tissue is performed in a day hospital and costs $5000. This includes the cost for the hospital and anaesthetist.
Additional costs would be applicable for severe gynaecomastia where longer incisions are required. Dr Szalay would be able to provide you with a quote during your consultation.
Book in your initial consultation and explore the possibilities
Here is what you can expect from your first consultation with Dr Szalay:
Step 1: Meeting with Dr Szalay
We will discuss the appearance of your gynaecomastia and how you would like it changed.
Step 2: Dr Szalay assesses your gynaecomastia to explore feasibility
Dr Szalay will examine your gynaecomastia and advise an approriate treatment.
Step 3: Dr Szalay explains the procedure
It is important that you are well informed about the procedure, which is why Dr Szalay takes this time to explain how it works and answer any of your questions.
Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner