How does liposuction work?
A suction tube is inserted through a tiny incision (approximately 3 – 4mm) which is placed in an inconspicuous location on the skin. Under vacuum, fat cells are extracted through this tube. The result is a re-sculpting of bulging areas into more attractive contours.
What to expect from the procedure
Initially, you will be sedated and then large amounts of diluted local anaesthetic and adrenalin are infused into the fatty area, numbing the area and constricting the blood vessels. This leads to a painless and easy removal of unwanted fatty bulges. It also reduces swelling and bruising after the procedure. The process is carried out without awareness, discomfort or pain.
Important pre-operation information
- You should be as weight-stable as possible before the procedure. It’s not ideal to be fluctuating too much in weight after having liposuction performed.
- You will need to avoid drinking alcohol for two weeks before the procedure.
Important after-care information
- After your procedure, you may feel drowsy from the sedation, which is why it is important to have someone drive you home and stay with you overnight.
- You will be required to wear a compression garment, day and night, for a full week after your procedure. Following this, it should be worn for another 5 weeks for at least 12 hours per day. (The garment is conveniently designed to hide under your clothing).
- Tight clothing should be avoided for four weeks as they may leave a demarcation line.
- Swelling or bruising usually subsides over a week or so but in some areas can take longer so you should wait 12 weeks before you assess your final result.
- Following the first day, we recommend you walk for at least 30 minutes each day and otherwise continue with your normal activities.
- You can return to non-strenuous work within four days. More intense activity can be resumed seven days following the procedure.
The initial consultation with Dr Szalay is $75.00. The cost of the liposuction is as follows:
- Two areas for $1375 per area (eg. both outer thighs cost a total of $2750)
- Four areas for $990 per area (eg. both outer and inner thighs cost a total of $3960). Please note that both sides of the upper and lower abdomen is considered 4 areas and costs $3960.
- Six areas for $943 per area (eg. upper and lower abdomen and both hips cost a total of $5660; or both hips and both outer and inner thighs cost a total of $5660)
- Subsequent areas cost $850 per area (eg. upper and lower abdomen, both hips and both outer thighs cost a total of $7360)
- The compression garment is $275 and is additional to the above costs.
- Please note the upper back is always $1650 per side, irrespective of the number of other areas being done.
When you consult with Dr Szalay, he will provide you with an exact quote.
- Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner
See our before and after results
Dr Michael Szalay has performed over 500 liposuction procedures on different areas of the body. View some of our results.